Friday, March 25, 2016

How to buy a good kayak for cheap!

Buying a Kayak on Craigslist


I follow several kayaking blogs which to be honest, I don't think these blogs even existed when I started kayaking. Kayak fishing, which is my thing now, really has exploded in the last 5 years. The passion I have for kayaking has developed for me as well. It all started when I was moving a few years ago.

I was getting rid of some furniture and decided to post it on Craigslist. It was then that I came across my first kayak. I wasn't in the market to buy one, on the contrary I was actually trying to get rid of my stuff. But I saw this photo of a kayak and it was listed for $100, I didn't know anything about kayaks, except that I practically grew up visiting and admiring "toys" in Bass Pro Shops and I've seen their price tags. You cant get any new kayak for 100, impossible. The Kayak listed was a spirit 120 and after doing a quick google search sure enough it was selling for about 300 in stores. The real kicker was the guy was selling it with a brand new paddle which was also, after a quick google, goes about $100 in stores.

So I saw the light bulb go off and since I was strapped for cash from my move I figured it was a good investment. I went to pick it up, saw that it was in great condition, the thing was still brand new, he only had taken it out twice .He just needed to get rid of it quickly due to his own move. So I went for it and gave the seller the $100 cash. And I drove away with a BRAND NEW kayak and paddle. What a deal! The guy practically cringed when I was making the purchase, he knew he was letting it go for way too cheap.

 I was moving near the water and at least I could use it a few times and still sell it again for a profit. That never happened. Took it out one night for kayak fishing and little did I know I would be hooked.  No pun intended.

I wish I had a picture to share of that kayak, I looked and couldn't find one... but I do have one photo from my first night kayak fishing. Not a big catch but a big memory for me nonetheless.


Long story short, you can find cheap BRAND NEW kayaks on Craigslist. People just need to get rid of them sometimes. They are a luxury item for some people. I know this is not the first nor last good deal you can find on Craigslist. My advice is to just keep your eye out. Keep looking for deals in your area.

TIP: Especially During Winter months people usually put them up for sale. You can often get kayaks for three times less than the stores. Just pick ones that have clear photos and don't buy until you have gone to see the kayak for yourself. Its no pressure. If the vessel looks damaged don't buy it, that simple.

I do have to mention to Beware of Craigslist scams. Only buy  IN PERSON with cash only. Buy at your own risk. But there are normal decent people who use the site to sell their stuff. As long as you are wise you can use Craigslist to find great deals.



No comments:

Post a Comment